Re: [BKARTS] Output possible with manual presses

I have not used the Nowicki presses, but judging from the photos on his web
site, I would guess that it would take about five times as long to make a text
block as it does with Peter Jermann's fan gluing press, which I own and use.
    Your question about production speed is not as simple to answer as you
might think.
    Once you click the print button, the amount of time for printing obviously
depends on the printer speed and whether or not you have a duplex attachment
to the printer. The number of pages in the book and the number of pages you
print at one time are also factors. With a fast duplex printer such as the HP
8100 or its replacements, with a duplexer, printing a 300 page book, 5.5 x
8.5, two up, takes less than ten minutes.
    Cutting the pages in half takes less than a minute.
    Folding the end sheets takes less than a minute.
    Making a text block in a Jermann press takes less than ten minutes, but it
needs to cure for about an hour.
    Printing, creasing, and folding a paper cover takes less than five
minutes. Gluing it to the text block takes less than five minutes, but it
needs to cure for at least an hour.
    Trimming the three sides of the book takes about five minutes.
    One, two or three people can be working at the same time, which speeds
things up a little. What can you do profitably while the glue sets? How much
time do you want to spend resting between operations?
    I probably average about an hour per book, spread over 24 hours, but I am
old and slow.
Rupert
http://www.philobiblon.com"              <BOOK_ARTS-L@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU> =====
>This question is mainly directed at the Print-on-Demand folks. Namely, what
>sort of output numbers are possible using manual presses like Peter
>Jermann's fan-gluing press, or others such as Chet Novicki's device.
>Typically, how long does the full book production cycle take from clicking
>the Print button to a bound book? I'm trying to interest local booksellers
>in my stuff and am attempting to get a grip on what levels of output are
>possible. My current Rube Goldberg contraptionary methods of
>hand-folding/ripping, clamps and boards are not too scalable...not to
>mention undisplayable to anybody who wants to examine my "production
>facilities"! So I'm interested in knowing what speeds can be achieved with
>a proper cutter like the Martin Yale 7000E, and aligning/gluing aids like
>the presses mentioned above.
>
>Waqar

Rupert N. Evans
May 1-October 31: 101 W Windsor Rd. #4107, Urbana, IL 61802-6697;
217-337-7833
November 1-April 30: 501-391 S LaPosada Circle, Green Valley, AZ 85614; 520-648-8365
Author of Book-On-Demand Publishing
I love to print and bind books