Re: [BKARTS] BOOK_ARTS-L Digest - 1 Dec 2002 to 2 Dec 2002 (#2002-329)

Audry,

Who produced the original images?  If one takes a photograph of a painting or
other piece of art; that is not affected by copyright law. If the artwork is,
itself, a photograph, and you want to produce copies; then it is protected by
copyright law.  If they are indeed protected, ask the artist for permission
to copy. Most artists grant permission with no fee or royalty, simply for the
publicity.

If I were you, I would still consult an attorney that is familiar with U.S.
Copyright Law. There may be some detail that would affect your ability to
reproduce these images. Also they may be protected under International
Copyright Law.

Note: most people are not aware that in the U.S., works are automatically
copyrighted the moment they are produced.  The reason for registering your
copyright, is for proof that you own the copyrights, should there be a
dispute.

Regards,
Ed Stansell