Re: [BKARTS] Slides/copyright

At 06:05 AM 12/5/2002 -0500, you wrote:
>work to discuss an artist.  And that is another question:  Should an art
>teacher or art history teacher  get permission to make slides or powerpoints
>if they plan to teach a specific artist's work or to give a range of possible
>ideas to students?

I have to chime in here as it doesn't seem that many slide librarians
are going to see this. I don't know about K-12, but at the college level,
certainly, neither the slide librarians (who usually provide the faculty
with slides) nor art history professors ever ask permission to use
images. Slides are routinely made from images published in art books,
also, without getting anyone's permission or paying any fees.

This is covered under the "fair use" provision of copyright law, i.e. it
is for instructional purposes only.  In the situation you mention, where
one may focus an entire lecture on one living artist, it would be a courtesy
to let them know (esp. if you're in the same "world"), but it is not
required, either ethically or legally.

If you disagree with this, don't jump on me about it. It's SOP in the
"ed. biz."

My library is not an art library, but we do have an extensive image
database (and we bend over backwards making sure we have
permission for everything, even tho' it is not required). It was meant
originally for teaching purposes, but we get so many outside requests
from people who want to use them in some kind of publication,
that we've started charging those folks.  They also want all rights in
perpetuity. We make it very clear that they can use the image
ONE TIME, for the purpose stated. Any future use in another
publication/medium requires another fee.

I really don't think you need have any concerns about using slides/
images in your presentation.  If you end up selling a canned "course"
to school districts, then you would probably need to get permission/pay
fees. My understanding is that it can be the photographer who has the
copyright. If you're really worried about it, consult an attorney who
specializes in art copyright law.

Good luck in this, it's certainly a worthy cause!

Susan

Susan Fatemi
Earthquake Engineering Library
National Information Service for Earthquake Engineering
University of California, Berkeley
1301 South 46th Street, RFS #453
Richmond, CA 94804-4698

Ph: (510) 231-9552