[BKARTS] Oversewing Alternatives

I have in my care an 1847 volume containing many plates printed on paper which is fairly thick and stiff. As there are no folds, the sheets were essentially oversewn through six holes in the inner margin, similar to the three-hole pamphlet stitch commonly seen. Three cords were glued in to saw cuts in the spine, the whole well pasted over and lined with paper. The book opens poorly overall because of the oversewing, and at long last the threads have begun to crumble, splitting the textblock and prying the sunken cords from the spine.

Short of guarding every leaf, what approach might you recommend?

Bob