Re: [BKARTS] Oversewing Alternatives

In a message dated 12/6/02 8:55:10 AM, CraftBook@AOL.COM writes:

<< I don't know of the number of sheets in your book that will need guarding.
But, I fear the book will be too thick in the spine if you guard it.  I tend
toward recommending another oversew job, with more than six holes. Apparantly
the original sewing served fairly well for over a hundred rears. Perhaps with
more stitches and better cord, it will last longer this time. >>

**********************

Ed may be right that there may be too much swelling after the book is guarded
if there are many plates.  However, if the paper is thick and most likely
brittle (or getting brittle), oversewing in any manner is NOT the solution --
it may only invite problems as the book is used.
If there is no other solution than guarding, and if there is too much
swelling, there are ways to deal with that problem. One way might be to use
thicker cover boards that are beveled to compensate.
In an earlier message, I suggested an alternative of housing the plates loose
in folders and a box (with the text -- if any). And there may be other
solutions as well.
Bill Minter

4364 Woodbury Pike
Woodbury, PA   16695