Re: [BKARTS] more thoughts regarding AIC certification

And based on conversations I have with friends and colleagues in Germany, the programmification of training is moving at about the same speed there as here. Apprentice trained people are being iced out of conservation positions, not because they can't do the work properly, ethically, ..., but because they don't have the right program degree.

As has been posted by others, multiple career paths must be provided for. Any certification would need to be open to ALL conservators, AIC and non to be meaningful, and not turn into huge litigation issue, because if a certification program is approved it will have economic implications, in being awarded contract work and hiring...

p.

>The European
>Community has been working on this very issue for a while now, since conservators
>from the various member countries have the right to work anywhere within the EEC
>but come from a variety of training programs.   Isn't this the proper community
>for the AIC and all the rest of us to talk to?
>   Certainly Ed is right.  There is, indeed, good reason to ask binders,
>conservators, and those of no title at all "What do you know and what can you do"
>in a fair and balanced fashion.  If the question is to be instead, "Did you learn
>at a place we approved of?" the process can be of use and interest only to the
>organizing body, be it the AIC or any other.
>  Dorothy Africa

Peter D. Verheyen
<mailto:verheyen@philobiblon.com>