Re: [BKARTS] more thoughts regarding AIC certification

  The AIC is indeed talking to members of the conservation community in
Europe.  If one reads the AIC publications, there have been numerous
articles and letters from the IPC (Institute of Paper Conservation) and
UKIC regarding the accreditation process currently being instated in the
UK.
If there is to be certification in the US, there will certainly be some
sort of exam required.  Obviously, regardless of training origin, if one
is competent in his/her craft, passing will be no problem.  Of course
the question arises, 'Who will design the exam and its questions?"
That's the sticky part.
I think it is interesting that the ballot/referendum now occurring has
finally caused people to really hash out the problems/advantages of this
thing on various online fora and traditional printed formats.  Human
nature always seems to wait until the last minute.

Incidentally, the terms European Community, and EEC (European Economic
Community) were used from the late 1950's until 1992 when the Treaty of
the European Union began to be ratified by its member countries. EU or
European Union is now the term describing the economic/political
partnership.

Doug Sanders