Re: [BKARTS] more thoughts regarding AIC certification

Peter,

in germany at the current state, if you want to work as a conservator,
you have 2 approaches:
College degree, post graduate studies, master program (Diploma)
employment.
or

Apprenticeship, Journeyman degree, work 4-5 years in related areas
(documented of course) (Library conservation or private practise.  add
master degree handbookbinding (1 year) add Diplom restorator  (1 year
full time, 2 spread) and you're at employment level.

The only difference being, form the point of view of a working
conservator, it's nice if you have an apprenticed trained bookbinder
who knows his stuff, but the problem was that they didn't had enough
schoolinng in chemistry and biochemistry and physics to understand more
than rudiments in applications.
Many a book or document was ruined because a "Bookbinder" thought he
can do the same as a trained conservator.
One of my former apprentices back there, after journeyman degree with
me worked at different conservation Labs and in Stuttgart attended the
FH for Conservation on Paper which is 2 years, now she is a full
fledged Diplom Restorator  and works in private practise (her own ) in
Stuttgart.

The difference may be to here, that in germany we can sort out what one
needs to have to meet the standard and there one is coming from.
Here, there is such a wide spread variety from classical trained to
learned over an extended time from different people.
The AIC is to rigid and to elitist in their behavior, their definitons
applied perfectly fit all but a few joice positions in the well funded
Libray?conservation enviroment.
Most conservator I know and deal with don't work that glamerous as the
funding is not there.

The standard, if there will be one has to be either from a larger
organization than the AIC or with the State Board of Labor
certification, but that would be an absolute pipe dream (:

cheers
charles