Re: [BKARTS] more thoughts regarding AIC certification

Dear Dorothy,

Why do you say that it is beyond the ability of one organization?  I am an
outsider, so I really don't know why, and seek enlightenment (but that's
another story...), but I also suppose that if there exists a body of
competent professionals, they should be able to specify and administer a
competent certification.  Is the problem that there is not currently such a
body?  That there are (or perhaps are not) merely a handful of true experts
scattered about and so overloaded that they are incapable of organizing
such a thing?

Yours,  Gavin

At 02:25 PM 11/12/2002 -0500, Dorothy Africa wrote:
>    I might point out, too, that there is a serious misrepresentation in this
>either/or business since many of us had academic educations, (including
>chemistry) as well as bench training.   I also know of many persons from
>'conservation' programs who have gone out and acquired bench skills because
>they recognized the need.  There is a major threat to the well-being of
>books and collections of all kinds in the premise that people hired to do
>bench work are not entitled to support in furthering their educations in
>such things as chemistry and management, and those hired as "professionals"
>need not acquire bench skills because menials can be hired to do those.
>Such thinking is dangerous as well as daft.
>    Some kind of certification program would offer all kinds of benefits, but
>what is needed is well beyond the ability of a single organization to
>accomplish.

Gavin Stairs
Gavin Stairs Fine Editions
525 Canterbury Road
London, Ontario
Canada   N6G 2N5

telephone: (519) 434-8555.
email: stairs@stairs.on.ca

Gavin Stairs Fine Editions is a small, computer press specializing in book
design and fine, hand-made books.