Re: [BKARTS] more thoughts regarding AIC certification

HI,
I would hate the AIC to get into the same rut with certification that teachers have in the Province of British Columbia.
I first started teaching English as a Second Language in Ontario, Canada when a position opened up in Adult Basic Education at the school board. I also taught academic writing to students at the University of Guelph at that time. I have an Honour BA in Philosophy and Natural Science from Guelph.
When I followed my wife to California for her to get her Masters in Montessori, I decided to take advantage of the College she was attending and got a Diploma in ESL. I then taught refugees from Afghanistan in the Hayward School District.
After I moved back to Canada from California I attempted to teach ESL here and was informed that I would need a teaching degree. No problem I thought and applied to UBC for acceptance. I was informed that I must redo my BA because ten years had elapsed since I had graduated. Another 4 years? Not a chance! BC lost an excellent well qualified and experienced ESL teacher by their ridiculous certification standards.
 Canada also does itself this same disservice by not recognizing Medical degrees from other countries as well meaning that any doctors who immigrate here have to spend years relicensing. What a waste of talent!
"That's what I think of certification!" he said climbing down from his soapbox. <grin>
Thanks for listening,
Dave

David Allen
840 Snowdrop Avenue