[BKARTS] Call for Papers

Dear Book Arts List friends:

I posted this last year, for any interested, and am doing it again now. I
don't seem to be able to make this conference, mostly for financial reasons,
but have been told by several people that it is worth the time and effort.
Please contact Allison directly (not me) if you wish to contribute or need
more information. Barbara Harman

Dear Friends,

I am spamming your mailboxes one last time with the call for papers for the
Collectors and Collecting Panels of the Southwest-Texas Popular/American
Culture Meeting coming up on February 12-15 at the Hilton Hotel in
Albuquerque.  The deadline for abstract submission is now December 31st, so
there is still a little time for people to respond.  Please send this to any
listservs and colleagues that might be interested to know about this.  Thank
you very much indeed.  Your previous efforts have brought forward some
wonderful prospective panelists.

Best,

Alison Franks
Area Chair for Collectors and Collecting
Southwest-Texas Popular/American Culture Association Meeting 2003

<<         Call for Papers, Panels, Presentations on:
Collecting, Collectibles, Collectors, Collections

THE SOUTHWEST-TEXAS POPULAR CULTURE ASSOCIATION/AMERICAN CULTURE ASSOCIATION

February 12-15, 2003
Albuquerque, New Mexico

We seek proposals for individual presentations and for entire panels about
collecting, collectibles, collections, collectors and those whose artifacts
are collected, for the SW-TPCA/ACA's annual conference for Popular/American
Culture scholars and aficionados.  We encourage presentations from any of the
many Gender Studies perspectives, the many Ethnic Studies perspectives, the
many LGBT perspectives, and the many Popular Culture/Cultural Studies
perspectives, including theoretical considerations and Material Culture
Studies.  We seek presentations/panels from collectors, from creators of
collectible art/artifacts, and from and about those who mediate between those
who collect and those who create or offer collectibles (such mediators as
gallery owners, traders, agents).

This will be the third year that the collectors and collecting area of
interest will be represented at this conference.  Last year we had six panels
of three presentations each.  The two previous meetings have resulted in an
expanding network of diverse people sharing mutual interests.  We hope to
continue to grow.  Please join us.

Some areas of consideration include, but are not limited to:

1.  Your personal collection;
2.  The history of collecting;
3.  The impulse to collect;
4.  Various attitudes towards collecting various artifacts in various ethnic,
faith,        class, educational, racial, social, generational or regional
communities;
5.  Collecting and political correctness;
6.  Private collections as passion, as social climbing activity, as
investments, as
    inflation hedges;
7.  The business of collecting - buying and selling, mediating value - the
dealer, the
    picker, the agent;
8.  The impact of the Internet (including eBay and like sites) on collecting;
9.  Relationships between collectors and curators;
10.  Private collections as the basis for public museums;
11.  Representations of collectors in popular fiction, film, theater;
12.  Collecting as therapy/Collecting as neurosis;
13.  Collecting as community activity;
14.  Collecting as scholarship;
15.  Collectors' organizations (car clubs, stamp clubs, costume jewelry
collectors'
      groups, etc.), their functions, their controversies (for instance,
conflicts between display and use, such as total restoration to showroom
condition vs. repair and daily use for classic cars);
16.  Do women and men, people with different levels of education, people with
      different class and ethnic origins collect different "stuff"?
17.  The impact of collectors on "folk" or "ethnic" artists/makers - changes
in style or palette, changes in gender roles, etc.;
18.  What is an "authentic" collectible?
19.  My junk/your treasure,my treasure/your junk.

These are just ideas that come to mind from our previous experience and from
questions yet unexplored by meeting panels; there are many other appropriate
topics and viewpoints as well.

For questions about the 2003 meeting - place (The Albuquerque Hilton), fees,
accomodation and travel  information - please go to the 2003 Meeting page of
the organization's website (www2.h-net.msu.edu/~swpca).

Please send your proposals (presentation time is about 20 minutes, leaving
time for lively discussion following three presentations per panel) to me,
Area Chair for Collectors and Collecting, at the following address:

Alison Franks
4000 Aspen Avenue NE
Albuquerque  NM  87110
e-mail:  Calwoodrat@aol.com

I would much appreciate your sharing of this CFP with your colleagues and
ListServs.

With thanks,

Alison Franks
Area Chair, Collectors and Collecting
Southwest-Texas  Popular Culture Association/American Culture Association
Annual Meeting 2003