Re: [BKARTS] conservation job at Harvard

I would like to add that, in general, there is a stance of hiring or seeking
only those individuals who have a BA/MA/whateverA in something where years
of experience is dismissed as simply not good enough.

This is an observation that stems well beyond the confines of this
discussion. I work in the computer-related design industry and I have
friends who have lost their jobs. These people have years and years of
tested, successful experience...careers doing this type of work better than
most. However, they suffer in this industry and economy now because all open
jobs are asking for degrees that they either don't have (because they were
out working (growing their knowledge, improving their management skills,
interpersonal skills, etc.), or some cases, the nuance of the degree didn't
even exist when they were in school!

I maintain that if you have a degree, well, fine, but it is irrelevant in
some cases where the type of degree you have and the actual job you get
don't always match up, and even when directly related, after a point it is
the years of experience and what you do with that knowledge that matters.

I have a BA and I find that I have had to interview people and work with
people who think that my BA is not good enough because of the school I went
to. Interesting.

Sorry to go on, but I watch friends suffer in this economy, find myself in
peril, and many times it is the way in which people feel free to assess each
other's ability that is the root of the problem. There are people out there
to do many jobs and excel and teach others (yes, even those with degrees) to
do what they do even better, but they aren't always allowed to get the
chance that they deserve.

Jennifer