Re: [BKARTS] conservation job at Harvard-look at history

EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE IMPORTANT BUT...
I think education and experience are both important. But when education
plays a bigger part than experience or practical ability then we have
problems as a society. Education is like "make belief" until the theory is
put into practice.

THE NEW WORLD
It was reported already in the 1930s in Germany (who were leaders in
academics and science at that time) that you needed a Masters degree just to
teach high school. So in the "new worlds" like North America we are just
catching up to European thinking now. It is always hard to find the
"balance."

WHERE IS THE EFFICIENCY?
In my study of energy efficiency I also study the efficiency of people at
work. Many friends I made in the local outdoor clubs had advanced degrees.
It appeared that the average age when these people finished university was
about age 30. About 5 years was required after this in training, and five
years for finding a decent job for a PhD degree. Typically these people
started their first real paying job at about age 40 if they were lucky. Of
course there are more jobs in the US, but this is the experience in Canada
and many other small countries. In many fields I've worked in, people over
the age of 50 are considered too old for the job, so most of these highly
trained people at that age are let go or retire. This results in 34 years of
training and looking for work vs 10 years of truly productive work. This is
not very efficient as a society. Of course not everyone in society reaches a
PhD but is this where we are headed?

Ben Wiens...applied energy scientist
Ben Wiens Energy Science Inc.
E-mail: ben@benwiens.com
Energy Website: http://www.benwiens.com
Read my popular web-booklet "Energy Science Made Simple"