Re: [BKARTS] degree or bushwacking

I've followed the thread on degrees with some interest.     The university
system is entrenched in every profession; it's continued health depends upon
its ability to create need and supply  it. Therefore the more credentials
that are required to practice, the more support for the institution. Where
are the apprenticeships of old?..they don't exist.  The university organizes
knowledge and its acquisition under one umbrella.  It's an old story.  Where
once the poor might apprentice to learn a field, now they apprentice who can
afford the luxury of study.   Harvard would have no interest in hiring
someone without a degree, and (circles and inner circles) a very particular
interest in  hiring someone from a similarly prestigious institution.    As a
matter of practicality...  there's always the law of supply and demand.  With
so many people wanting a job,  possessing a degree ( terminal degree or
degree from X university) becomes just one more filter making it easier to
weed through the resumes.   With so many applicants for few positions,  even
the apprentices have degrees.  As to whether the people that make the cut are
more, less or just as qualified, who can tell?  Who has the time to find out?
  It doesn't matter, in any case; the institution is a system that has no
interest in hiring outside of itself.

Bushwacking  a path through the wilderness is a romantic idea and those that
do it are always my heros.   It remind me of what a professor once said to
me.  "These are the rules.  Go ahead and break them.  But if you break them,
you better be brilliant."   Would DaVinci or Mozart be hired by the
institution?  Of course they would be.  To begin with, they were a part of
the prevailing system of the day.  Both had access to the courts and wealthy
patrons coming up.  But, even if they weren't part of the system and were
only brilliant, they would be known for their work, as is true of some few
today.   Name recognition is always a trump card.   If you are so able to
create your own success that the institution benefits from your name MORE
than you benefit from their protection, you are invited.

What is fair and unfair?  I spend too much time thinking about it.  I think
it does me no good.   As another wise professor once told me, "just do the
work."

Audrey