Re: [BKARTS] BOOK_ARTS-L Digest - 28 Dec 2002 to 29 Dec 2002 (#2002-10)

Im Prinzip ja, aber... Soll heissen,

In principle yes, the grain should always run parallel. But this can also
be controlled by the balanced application of materials. If the board has
the grain perpendicular to the spine, but the cloth and the paper are
parallel, it "can" work out just fine. Factors will include, thickness of
board, expansion (and as a result contraction) of paper and cloth, and
finally, adhesive, and most importantly experience.  Endpapers should
ALWAYS be parallel to spine, if for no other reason than that when they
expand, they need a place to go. If perpendicular to spine, they will be
restrained by the fold, and expand elsewhere, the result being wrinkles, ...

If we're talking about pages parallel is the good way to go, though
printers never seem to get it right ;>

Sometimes we don't have a choice with grain direction, especially with
funky formats. By experimenting, observing, and noting we will develop a
sense of what works.

In a pinch though, and because it's a good habit to have, grain should
always run parallel to spine.

p.

At 03:33 PM 12/30/2002 -0800, you wrote:
>Dear Audrey,
>
>Look at it this way: The pages of a book should roll in the direction of the
>spine as they are turned, whether the book is shorter than it is tall or
>wider than it is high.In the latter case, the spine (on the left in Western
>or European bindings) is shorter than the width but it is still the spine
>and the grain must run parallel to it.
>
>Yours was not a stupid question at all, Audrey. The answers are sure to make
>the us think more about the problem of using grain in the right direction.
>
>Betty

Peter D. Verheyen
<mailto:verheyen@philobiblon.com>