Re: [BKARTS] How to Repair a book but save the pastedowns?

Hi Ann,
I have done this a few times and the problem that is the most difficult is not the end papers or the printing on them but the notes. Be very careful if you decide to use the "wet" method to remove the end papers. Most of the old fountain pen inks are water soluable.
I'm curious. Is this Fannie Farmer's Boston School Cook Book?
Dave

At 04:52 PM 02/02/03 -0500, you wrote:
>I have been given an old copy of a cookbook to repair -- it is in very sound
>condition, but has no spine.  However, I'm at a loss as to how to proceed.
>The pastedowns on the inside front and back covers have measurement and
>conversion instructions, but more importantly, contains handwritten notes
>from the original owner.  The current owner of the book has asked me to
>preserve these if at all possible.
>
>So....how do I add a spine to existing covers and case in the book without
>covering up the existing pastedowns?
>
>Thanks,
>Ann

David Allen