Re: [BKARTS] skinny signatures

Dorothy,

I wouldn't want to burn my hair off either. I have prescious little as it is.
I can't afford to loose the rest.

I believe you are thinking of MACHINE oversewing, which I abhor. It employs
wery large destructive needles that often tear out the pages at the bining
side. In a few years, with any use the book has lost half its pages from
their breaking at the perforation.

HAND oversewing that I do and have seen examples of in relatively old volumes
(late 18th and 19th century) is done wih a very fine needle and very fine
thread sewn onto linen cords. Books sewn by this method open as well or
nearly so, as a section sewn book. The thread with which they are sewn is not
drawn taught, allowing for necessary movement and flexibility. I do not
prefer hand oversewing to section sewing, but I prefer it to adhesive only or
saw and cord methods of building a text-block.  I suggest that you try it on
an not so rare a volume as a test. I believe you'll change your mind about
HAND oversewing.

Best regards,

Ed