Re: [BKARTS] Vellum source

There is a new vellum maker on the scene.  Lloyd Lewis, of New Zealand.
E-mail address: james.torrey@xtra.co.nz

He manufactures a good, naturally thin vellum from opposum, which
is a serious problem animal there.

The skins are approx. 12 inches X 18 inches in size.

His 'thick' vellums are approximately what 'thin' English vellums are.

His 'thin' vellums compare well with the thin vellum leaves in, for
instance, small French illuminated Books of Hours.

Some are marked from fighting, and would make interesting covers.

Re: Jerusalem vellum.  Much of what I've seen is of poor quality.
Clive Silverman, in the north of Israel, on a kibbutz near Nazareth,
made very good vellum, but seems to have dropped from sight, since I
visited him about 4 years ago.

Jack

>I'm looking for two 9 inch x 12 inch (approx.) pieces of vellum suitable in
>weight for a limp binding cover - if anyone has a source in the US they
>recommend I would appreciate hearing about it.

(snip)
>Thanks -
>Roberta

Thompson Conservation Lab.