Re: [BKARTS] Horse Butt

Jack,
I know from personal experience that it very long wearing but it is very funny that it's so tough because according to biologists it is also a very thin skin. Horses are being vaccinated in BC this spring because they are particular susceptible to the West Nile Fever which is spread by mosquitos. It seems that horse's skin is so thin the mosquitos would rather bite them than any other animal. According to a news report on CBC today....
Dave

At 09:12 PM 20/02/03 -0800, you wrote:
>Well, it ain't chickens....
>
>Seriously, horse butt leather is hell for stout.  It is the
>manner in which collagen fibers are aligned which makes this
>leather much stronger than any other leather.
>
>It is also valued for use as blacksmith aprons for it's ability
>to withstand the heat and hot metal sparks from forging.
>
>Carefully used, such strops will last a lifetime.
>
>Jack
>

>>Sounds kind of kinky!
>>
>>still dancing,
>>alice
>>
>>> I now make strops from Genuine Horse Butt
>

>Thompson Conservation Lab.
>7549 N. Fenwick
>Portland, Oregon  97217
>USA
>
>503/735-3942  (ph/fax)
>
>http://home.teleport.com/~tcl
>
>"The lyfe so short; the craft so long to lerne."
>Chaucer  _Parlement of Foules_ 1386

David Allen
840 Snowdrop Avenue
Victoria, British Columbia