Re: [BKARTS] *Slightly* tangential question

Matthew, you might consider a cloth or "quiet" book as one possibility for
making an interactive and engaging book for a 12-month old godchild.  We've
discussed these books before on the list, but I'll add a few resources at
the end of this message.

As far as a poem that would make a great pop-up, I would suggest "I Love the
Look of Words" by Maya Angelou.  In the poem, white popcorn flying out of a
hot black skillet is contrasted with black words leaping from a white page.
It has lots of action, and a few smells too.

Ed
------------------
Marilyn Gossett, Let's Make a Quiet Book: 13 Pages of Quiet Time Fun &
Learning, 1996, ISBN 1-56231-331-2, Hot Off The Press, soft cover, 11"H x
8.5"W, 16 pages, Directions and patterns for making Teddy Bear Tic-Tac-Toe,
Girl with Curly Hair & Accessories, Match the Shapes, Textures, Counting to
Nine, Daytime/Nighttime, Four Seasons, Shoestring & Zipper, and Bedtime,
plus instructions for cutting out patterns and binding the book.

Anne Pellowski, How to Make Cloth Books for Children: A Guide to Making
Personalized Books (No-Sew Techniques!), 1992, ISBN 0-8019-8398-3, Chilton
Book Company, soft cover, 11"H x 8.5"W, 90 pages, Chapters include:
Introduction, Organizing, Planning, Making, Finishing, Bibliography,
Resources, and Index.

Barbara Williams and Carol Grundmann, 26 Lively Letters: Making an ABC Quiet
Book, 1977, ISBN 0-8008-7918-X, Taplinger Publishing Co., Inc., hard cover,
9.5"H x 8"W, 96 pages, A quick introduction includes sections on: Preparing
the Pages, Materials and Tools Needed, Selecting the Materials, Making the
Pages, Transferring the Patterns, and General Hints for Success. The bulk of
the book is made of instructions, patterns and black & white photos for the
alphabet pages.