Re: [BKARTS] *Slightly* tangential question/Poetry

also look at "Old Black Fly" by Aylesworth, anything by Shel Silverstein.

From: Anna Birch-Queen Oscar Designs <anna@QUEENOSCAR.COM>
To: BOOK_ARTS-L@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU
Subject: Re: [BKARTS] *Slightly* tangential question/Poetry
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2003 21:41:01 -0500

RE: Poetry Book- good idea!
Here are a couple ideas:
"Eating Poetry" by Mark Strand or
"Oxcart Man" by Donald Hall

You also might check out website  http://www.loc.gov/poetry/180/
and click on "list of 180 poems:"

The list comes from a great project that other folks might also like to
know
about. (Especially if you know high school teachers- forward on.)

 Billy Collins (poet laureate of US) has started this initiative (Poetry
180) with high school students in mind, and I've found the poems are very
fun and thoughtful- for all ages. Some may be a little old for a 12 month
old- but you may find something you like there.

From the website: " Poetry can and should be an important part of our daily
lives. Poems can inspire and make us think about what it means to be a
member of the human race. By just spending a few minutes reading a poem
each
day, new worlds can be revealed.

Poetry 180 is designed to make it easy for students to hear or read a poem
each day of the 180 days of the school year. I have selected the poems you
will find here with high school students in mind. They are intended to be
listened to, and I suggest that all members of the school community be
included as readers. A great time for the readings would be following the
end of daily announcements over the public address system.

Listening to poetry can encourage students and other learners to become
members of the circle of readers for whom poetry is a vital source of
pleasure. I hope Poetry 180 becomes an important and enriching part of the
school day. -Billy Collins  Poet Laureate of the United States"

So- there's another tangent for you --
Good luck and have fun!!
Anna B

Anna Birch