[BKARTS] measurement question

hello!

I'm sketching out dimensions for  a book that will be bound from single
sheets, sewn, pasted,
& case-bound, & am wondering what the standard measurements are
regarding the gutter.   I need to maximize page space, & so would like
to place the sewing as
close to the spine as possible w/o endangering the strength of the book
-- is there a working
minimum?  how much space, typically, should I allow for the gutter in
page layout?

hope this isn't too garbled -- up all night thinking about book work!

thanks, all,

christine pichini
tooknap press

http://www.tooknappress.com