Re: [BKARTS] measurement question

On Tuesday, March 4, 2003, at 11:19 AM, christine pichini wrote:

I'm sketching out dimensions for  a book that will be bound from single
sheets, sewn, pasted,
& case-bound, & am wondering what the standard measurements are
regarding the gutter.   I need to maximize page space, & so would like
to place the sewing as
close to the spine as possible w/o endangering the strength of the book
-- is there a working
minimum?  how much space, typically, should I allow for the gutter in
page layout?

hope this isn't too garbled -- up all night thinking about book work!

thanks, all,

christine pichini

Christine,

Faced with a situation like this I would make prototypes to test the
materials. There are so many variables involved, it seems unlikely that
any norms could be offered. Get some test sheets and boards, sew 'em
up, open 'em up, yank on 'em. If you think you know what will work,
move onto the finished piece otherwise, make another prototype to test
your new assumptions.

Don Drake
Dreaming Mind

ddrake@dreamingmind.com