Re: [BKARTS] Asian style hand scrolls

Though directed more at hanging scrolls (kakemono) rather than
handscrolls (makimono), "Japanese Scroll Paintings- A handbook of
mounting techniques" by Masako Koyano, FAIC 1979  ISBN 0 933098 01 4  is
an invaluable resource.  There are, of course many differences in
appearance and function between the two, but tools, lining techniques
and roller attachment will be similar/adaptable for your uses.
As for exhibitions, the MFA Boston always has a number of handscrolls on
permanent rotation.  I suspect the same at other museums with strong
Asian collections such as in Cleveland, Seattle, San Francisco,
Washington DC to name a few.

Good luck!

Doug Sanders