[BKARTS] A Conversation in the Margins

I used to stop by the Campbell Logan Bindery in Minneapolis on a regular basis to use the paper cutter, and when I did I would look in on Phil Gallo, whose printing press took up a small corner of the room behind a row of paper racks. Often he would be working on a project for Granary Books. I remember on one occasion Phil was printing a series of unremarkable drawings. They no doubt had some higher conceptual purpose, but as drawings they were pretty dull. Phil, remarkably, had devised a way to separate the images into a series of shades of gray which suggested the weight which the "artist" had applied to the pencil as they drew. Plates were made from these separations, and a series of shades of gray ink were printed on the Vandercook. Phil had succeeded in elevating these unremarkable drawings into an extraordinary piece of printing.

Phil's intuitive printing and typographical wizardry have fascinated me for years. If you attend "Publishing Granary's Books: A Conversation in the Margins", and you look for the work of Phil Gallo, you may find unheralded marginal conversation.

Gaylord Schanilec
Wood Engraver Fine Printer
W11469 Schanilec Lane
Stockholm, Wisconsin, 54769