From: "Bruce Levy" <levybooks@EMAIL.COM>
To: <BOOK_ARTS-L@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU>
Sent: Wednesday, April 16, 2003 2:22 PM
Subject: Re: Pardon my topicality

> Of course, and unfortunately, there will always be a strata of any society
that is devoid of soul, conscience and moral compass, not to mention an
appreciation for one's culture, and it's implications.  Few people can think
deep enough to be able to view there own actions.  We can only hope for the
eventual reappropriation of these lost treasures. Many pieces of art and
culture that have been looted in the past have been found and returned.  One
can assume that, for the most part, these thugs are not staling to have
these items for their own collection. Eventually they will be moved, shipped
or put on the market.  With communication being what it is, and with the
help of interpol etc., we might see their return to the people of Iraq.

> Bruce

was destroyed, then the main libraries, leading to the irreparable
destruction of books and art objects, including the  first known written
text in history. Or perhaps we're just participating in the discussions
about these events among various groups of conservators, curators and art
dealers who are trying to repair some of the damage and to prevent future
catastrophes.

> > All that and soaking up the sunshine, too.
> >

> > Paul T Werner, New York
> > http://theorangepress.com
> >
> > WOID: A journal of visual language
> > THE ORANGE PRESS, publishing "Vellum Preparation: History and Technique"
> > DRAGONSBLOOD AND ASHES, a project to research and practice the
techniques of the medieval scribe