Re: [BKARTS] Art, Books, and Loot

  The destruction of both the national museum and library, on top of what
has happened to the schools, hospitals and other public institutions in
Iraq raises a lot of questions.  These things have all happened before in
other conflicts, but it is always a loss for the world as well as the
particular culture.  I have my doubts about how much recovery there will
be.  Some, yes, but I fear many fragile objects in the hands of people
unaccustomed to handling them will not last long enough to make it to the
black market.   As for the horrendous loss of books and manuscripts burnt
to cinders, there is no recovery.  Even if we have umpteen editions and
film of some of them, originals are not replaceable.
  Dorothy