[BKARTS] Writers and authors

Perhaps my statement was unclear about working with the writings of authors
for
artist books. My intent was that while it is acceptable to work with other's
poetry and text, one SHOULD get permission. As I wrote, it is <<appropriate
and
courteous to request permission from the author, or publisher, as it is the
property
of the author and most likely copyrighted.>>

It's surprising to see exhibitions of student art work
which include copyrighted images. With image banks, stock photos,
clip art, postcards, etc., so easily available, many believe that everything
is
up for grabs.

In a Terms of Agreement form I use based on The Graphic Artist Guild's
Guidelines,
it states that my illustrations are my property, copyrighted with the Library
of Congress,
and may not be scanned, manipulated, or used in any other way than as
originally
discussed without my written permission.

And by the way, what about postcards? Can artist books be made from postcards

without the permission of the photographer?

Still dancing,
Alice

ALICE SIMPSON
NEW YORK