[BKARTS] permission by author or copyright holder

I have been following, with interest, the recent postings regarding
permission to use others' work. I am on the side of seeking and gaining
permission.

However, recently, I requested such permission from Random house for a quote
from William Kittredge's book, "The Nature of Generosity," and received a
rather curt response from Random house, as though I was wasting their time.
They stated that the excerpt falls within "the realm of fair use." "No
permission is necessary to use this in the body of your text." They went on
to say that title, author and publisher should be credited. I also asked for
the opportunity to forward a copy of the artist book to William Kittredge
and they did not respond to this part of my short request to them.

I have not had the time to delve further into what is considered "the realm
of fair use" but welcome anyone who can enlighten me.

Further, if anyone knows how to contact an author other than through their
publisher, I welcome this news too.

Continuing thanks for the time people take to make this list of interest and
value.

A.