[BKARTS] fair use ... another view ...

There are widely differing views on this subject and I resisted jumping in because I know this will offend some here ...

I say use good judgment and "best effort" to get clearances ... remembering the original intent of copyright law and the fact that it's a lot easier to ask forgiveness than permission. With that guideline, I can't imagine book artists here getting in real trouble on copyright violations.

Part of the growing difficulty and confusion on "fair use" is due to powerful corporate lawyers and lobbyists who are litigating and revising copyright law for corporate commercial interests ... stifling the free exchange of ideas while providing little or no protection to original individual artists.

From: http://www.illegal-art.org./   (a parody of licensing agreements and challenge to corporate "asset protection") ... "The laws governing "intellectual property" have grown so expansive in recent years that artists need legal experts to sort them all out. Borrowing from another artwork--as jazz musicians did in the 1930s and Looney Tunes illustrators did in 1940s--will now land you in court. If the current copyright laws had been in effect back in the day, whole genres such as collage, hiphop, and Pop Art might never have existed.  The irony here couldn't be more stark. Rooted in the U.S. Constitution, copyright was originally intended to facilitate the exchange of ideas but is now being used to stifle it" For more, see other groups working on these copyright issues: http://www.illegal-art.org./links/index.html

There's also a term coined by wordsmith, Paul McFedries ... "copyrighteous": adj. Relating to a feeling of moral superiority based on one's responsible copyright views and actions. http://www.wordspy.com/diversions/neologisms.asp

Laurie