From: Book_Arts-L [mailto:BOOK_ARTS-L@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU]On Behalf Of
Bertha Rogers
Sent: Sunday, April 20, 2003 5:30 AM
To: BOOK_ARTS-L@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU
Subject: Re: Writers and authors

No, you can't make artist's books using any other artist's material, without
asking
permission. That includes postcards of art that is in museums. We often use
art from
museums for our book covers, and we pay a fee to the museums, usually around
$300-
400 for nonprofit publishers, publishing no more than600-1000 copies.
Bertha Rogers

On 19 Apr 2003 at 9:42, DanceMarathon1@AOL.COM wrote:

> Perhaps my statement was unclear about working with the writings of
authors
> for
> artist books. My intent was that while it is acceptable to work with
other's
> poetry and text, one SHOULD get permission. As I wrote, it is
<<appropriate
> and
> courteous to request permission from the author, or publisher, as it is
the
> property
> of the author and most likely copyrighted.>>
>
> It's surprising to see exhibitions of student art work
> which include copyrighted images. With image banks, stock photos,
> clip art, postcards, etc., so easily available, many believe that
everything
> is
> up for grabs.
>
> In a Terms of Agreement form I use based on The Graphic Artist Guild's
> Guidelines,
> it states that my illustrations are my property, copyrighted with the
Library

http://tudorhistory.org/news/hatton.html</A>