[BKARTS] fair use ... more views ...

Hello, all:
Of course agreed on the moral and legal right of creators but yes, corporate lawyers DO matter. When creators utilize others' works even under fair use, that does not necessarily stop corporate lawyers from threatening enough litigation to put one in the poorhouse regardless of rightness/wrongness
or legality. Point I'm trying to make: It can be legal under fair use to parody Mickey Mouse, but do you want to incur the legal expense of taking it to the Supreme Court to prove it?
Larger point I'm trying to make: a few bad apples... can have a dampening effect on {fair and moral} creativity.

There are some fascinating things going on, people making statements on this very issue via their work that you might be interested to know about:

for musical work from the band who brought you "Rocked by Rape" {a mix by Dan Rather and AC/DC} Evolution Control Committee; scroll down to download it for yourself...
evolution-control.com/cat_ecc.html
Mark Gunderson spoke about his work recently at the Cleveland Museum of Art, essentially saying yes, he knew he was in what some consider seriously grey territory but that he was making a parody as protected under fair use. {Many lawyers in the crowd did not agree.}

There's also the idea on the part of creators supporting a more free and open exchange of ideas of their own creation in the concept of "copyleft":
"...The idea of "copyleft" is to willfully revoke the exclusivity of those
rights under certain terms and conditions, so that anyone can copy and
distribute the work or properly attributed derivative works, while all
copies remain under the same terms and conditions as the original."
{gotten from www.dsl.org/copyleft/dsl.txt}
As I understand it, this began with open source code.

While it's not what I'd want to do, I'm glad someone else is...
Val