Re: [BKARTS] one more copyright thought

-----Original Message-----
>From: Book_Arts-L [mailto:BOOK_ARTS-L@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU]On Behalf Of Ann
Grasso
>Er, ummm - I thought their reply just fine except it led me to believe I
did
>not need to contact them for permission, as in, no need for permission as
>this falls into the realm of "fair use."
>
>It seems the consensus on this list does not agree with Random house.
Not necessarily. Just the consensus of those who posted on the matter.
Those list members who are uptight enough about infringement that they check
*everything* are more likely to post a reply warning you to be equally
careful. On the other hand, those of us who feel the "fair use" provisions
of the copyright laws were actually put there for a reason are less likely
to post messages; such messages would effectively be telling *you* to "use
*my* own judgment" as to what fair use is (or more precisely, whether a
particular use falls under the "fair use" provisions of the applicable law).

Part of the difference of opinion might also arise from varying
jurisdictions' ways of interpreting laws. Some legal systems will accept
*any* interpretation of the law, no matter how outlandish.

When (if?) I ever run into this situation myself, I intend to check the
locally-applicable copyright laws at the time for myself to see if the fair
use provisions apply.

There are always times where your own judgment has to take over. My writings
in this very post, after all, consist entirely of unattributed quotes of
words and phrases from a small collection of recent books. I certainly
didn't ask for permission.
-Kevin Martin
 the Papertrail