[BKARTS] Snapshots in Motion: The Japanese Handscroll

"Snapshots in Motion: The Handscroll as Reading Machine"

Our new exhibit at the Jaffe Atrium Book Arts Gallery explores the form and
process of handscrolls. The exhibit is dedicated to the memory of Nell
Meldahl. Nell was the daughter of American missionaries in Japan and grew
up there, absorbing the Japanese aesthetic. She was known for her work in
the conservation of handscrolls at her studio in Truro, Massachussetts, and
as a teacher of the handscroll form. The title of our exhibit comes from
Nell, who described the handscroll form as "a private handheld movie:
snapshots in motion."

Nell was a fascinating person, the woman who taught me about scroll-making.
This exhibit of handscrolls and our small tribute to Nell would not have
been complete without an actual piece by Nell, and for this we are grateful
to Lynn Amlie of the University of Iowa Center for the Book, who has
graciously let us borrow the handscroll that Nell made with Richard Flavin
and members of the Handscroll Workshop from the 1995 Paper & Book Intensive
at Penland, North Carolina. We are also grateful to Pam Spitzmueller of
Harvard University Library's Preservation Center for helping to build this
bridge, as well as for supplying photographs of Nell at work.

"Snapshots in Motion" will remain on exhibit through July 23, 2003, at the
Jaffe Atrium Gallery, which is located in the lobby just outside the Jaffe
Book Arts Collection at Florida Atlantic University's Wimberly Library,
Third Floor East. The gallery is accessible without an appointment, anytime
during regular library hours.

John Cutrone
The Arthur and Mata Jaffe Collection
777 Glades Road