Re: [BKARTS] wax in leather-bound book repair

Chela,

Here in the Beach Conservation lab at the University of Oregon we
regularly use Klucel-G to consolidate worn leather and finish with an
application of SC6000 wax. In your posting you noted that the label on
SC6000 recommends it not be used on degraded leather.  Does consolidating
with Klucel-G provide enough stability for an application of SC6000? The
bulk of our work is on the circulating collections.

As a student assistant in Special Collections in the 1980's I routinely
dressed leather bindings with neatsfoot oil or Fredelka Formula
Leather Preservative/Restorer wax. At
some point they stopped this practice. I occasionally get questions on
where we stand on the issue of oiling leather bindings.  Is it advisable
to dress leathers if one is careful to apply moderately?  Is it helpful to
the leather?  Is SC6000(acrylic polymer, wax emulsion) comparable to
Fredelka Formula (neatsfoot oil, beeswax, microwax)? Are there any
other products you would recommend or recommend against??

thanks,

Marilyn Mohr
University of Oregon, Eugene