[BKARTS] Exploring..., Well-dressed..., Guerrilla..., Secrets...

Spring is bringing lots of colorful flowers and there are some new book arts programs springing up as well. Most of my schedule for Cincinnati has already been posted, so I'll start with one program that wasn't mentioned.  Everyone is welcome to attend.  Be aware that the programs take place in several different cities.  For more information please go to www.artistbooks.com

Monday, May 5 (Cinco de Mayo!), 3 p.m., University of Cincinnati, Slide presentation, no charge
Aztec Dreams and Taco Books: A Mexican Bookmaking Adventure
The programs begins with a 20-minute slide presentation that introduces the rich tradition of paper and book making before the arrival of the Spaniards, the handmade books and paper currently being crafted in Mexico, and how a one-year sojourn in Mexico influenced the work of one artist. After the slides there will be time for questions and answers, after which the audience will be invited to examine replicas of ancient Aztec and Mayan books, contemporary Mexican artist books, and some of the Mexico-inspired books from Editions.

Saturday, May 10, New York City, Workshop, fee collected
Exploring Tunnel Books
Tunnel books have cutout panels which expand to create three-dimensional scenes. Regardless of how much experience you have, everyone is invited to come and explore this unusual book art form and to learn how it can be used to create magical dioramas with both images and text. Students are encouraged to bring their own decorative papers, pens and markers, family photos, rubber stamps, old magazines and clip art to mine for ideas. All other materials will be provided. Starting simple and working up to advanced projects, students will uncover the full creative potential of tunnel books.

Saturday, May 17, Brookfield (CT) Craft Center, Workshop, fee collected
Secrets of Paper Animation
The information isn't secret. What is secret is what happens unnoticed between the pages. We'll start by making simple moving words and pictures and then work our way up to inter-connected mechanical parts that make heads wiggle, people flip-flop, doors open, objects pop out of boxes, ghosts appear, the weather change, and objects fly across the page. We'll discover that some things aren't always what they first seem. We'll learn not only how illustrations can be animated, but also how text can move to direct and re-direct the reader's point of view. Finally, we'll take all our action pages and assemble them into the most engaging book you've ever seen. Come and join the fun.

Sunday, May 18, Brookfield (CT) Craft Center, Workshop, fee collected
Well-Dressed Books: Packages, Boxes & Containers
An innovative and inviting presentation is the first thing that engages a reader. In this class you will create imaginative boxes for text and images, you will take apart commercial packages to unlock their construction secrets, and you will transform existing containers into personal book vessels. Bring an unusual container to class and we will explore how it can be used to deliver the message in a bookish sort of way. No previous experience necessary. The only requirement is an inquiring mind and a willingness to make boxes by thinking outside the box. Contain your books, not your enthusiasm!

Saturday, June 14, New York City, Workshop, fee collected
Guerrilla Printing Techniques
You don't need a printing press to share your words and pictures. We will take a look around and figure out how ordinary materials found close at hand can be used to reproduce our thoughts and visions. Along the way we will explore stenciling, stamp making, embossing, decorative piercing, soap bubbles, block printing and other unusual printing techniques that employ simple skills and commonplace materials. At the end of class everyone will have created their own handbook of guerrilla printing ideas.

Friday-Saturday, July 12-13, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, Teachers Intensive
Book Stew: Cooking Up Excitement in the Classroom
Books come in many shapes and sizes. They can be made out of one piece of paper or many different kinds of materials. They can pop-up, unfold, and expand in unexpected ways. They can be simple or complex. This class will explore how to showcase students' creative talents through a variety of innovative book structures. Each participant will construct and take back to their classroom a dozen models and the class will discuss how these books can be incorporated into every part of the curriculum, including English, art, social studies, and math. This is a hands-on class incorporating demonstration, active participation, group discussion, and evaluation.

Saturday, July 19, New York City, Workshop, fee collected
Secrets of Paper Animation
(Note: There is a waiting list for this class.)
The information isn't secret. What is secret is what happens unnoticed between the pages. We'll start by making simple moving words and pictures and then work our way up to inter-connected mechanical parts that make heads wiggle, people flip-flop, doors open, objects pop out of boxes, ghosts appear, the weather change, and objects fly across the page. We'll discover that some things aren't always what they first seem. We'll learn not only how illustrations can be animated, but also how text can move to direct and re-direct the reader's point of view. Finally, we'll take all our action pages and assemble them into the most engaging book you've ever seen. Come and join the fun.

Saturday, August 9, New York City, Workshop, fee collected
Secrets of Paper Animation
Same description as above.

Friday -Sunday, August 14-17, Minneapolis, Variety Pack
Details will be announced later, but the plans include a Family Fun Night, two hands-on workshops and a slide presentation.

If at all possible, please come and be part of the bookmaking excitement
Ed (Hutchins)