Re: [BKARTS] Alcohol-Ethanol

ETHANOL IN SUMMARY
Several people are wondering where to get less toxic ethanol for
bookbinding. I am presently studying the use of ethanol as a major energy
carrier in our modern society. It is really one of the most useful, non
polluting, least toxic or least harmful chemicals in our society, that is if
one forgets the alcoholics in our society. It is hard to purchase pure
ethanol. Usually methanol is added to make ethanol poisonous. You could make
your own in the US legally with a $15 fuel license. Pharmco sells non
methanol denatured blends. It also sells pure blends but you need to have a
license. Pharmco likely have a minimum quantity purchase of several gallons.

ETHANOL IS TOO GOOD
Ethanol in its pure form is so mild a chemical that you can drink it. That's
a shame because many countries add toxic denaturants. Methanol as has been
pointed out is the most common denaturant. Methanol is highly poisonous. In
my opinion methanol should be used much more sparingly in our society and
should be highly restricted in use. I was on a Hollywood production ski
movie shoot a few years ago. They apparently put methanol in the outdoor
beer colored water to keep it from freezing. Methanol is cheap. People were
standing around so long they got thirsty and drank the stuff. I don't know
how many people became blind or had their vision and health damaged from
this event.

DENATURANTS
"A large number of different "denaturants" are utilized dependent upon the
use for which the ethanol is intended. These denaturants include methyl
isobutyl ketone, pyronate, kerosene, acetone, turpentine, amyl alcohol,
methyl alcohol, and various butyl alcohols. In some cases more than one
denaturant is utilized."
http://chemcases.com/alcohol/alc-03.htm

YOU COULD MAKE PURE ETHANOL YOURSELF
"Getting a license from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms (BATF)
is not difficult, and only takes about a month and costs $15."
http://running_on_alcohol.tripod.com/ethanolfuel/id10.html

YES IT IS HARD TO FIND NON TOXIC ETHANOL
"So far, we have not found where to purchase Ethanol that is not toxic and
does not require a special ATF permit. We'll keep searching."
http://www.malibuwater.com/Ethanol.html

PHARMCO PRODUCTS SELLS ALL KINDS OF ETHANOL
http://www.pharmco-prod.com/index.html

HERE SEEMS TO BE ON NON METHANOL FORMULATION
Minimum quantity appears to be several gallons.
(Ethanol denatured various aromatic chemicals)
http://www.pharmco-prod.com/pages/sda24.pdf

Ben Wiens...applied energy scientist
Ben Wiens Energy Science Inc.
E-mail: ben@benwiens.com
Energy Website: http://www.benwiens.com
Read my popular web-booklet "The Future of Energy"