From: Book_Arts-L [mailto:BOOK_ARTS-L@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU] On Behalf Of
Peter D. Verheyen
Sent: Friday, May 02, 2003 5:59 AM
To: BOOK_ARTS-L@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU
Subject: Re: green horn - Equipment needed

If you're just starting out and haven't done any binding before, I would
suggest a book like "Books, Boxes, and Portfolios" by Franz Zeier. It
does a very good job of explaining basic traditional binding without the
need for a lot of specialized heavy equipment, such as a vertical
plough, sewing frame, and standing press. The diagrams are also very
clear.
<http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0830634835/qid=1051492110/sr=2-1
/ref=sr_2_1/002-7607823-9756058>

In terms of handtools, you want a "bone" folder (at least one, and I
prefer my teflon), good scissors, a large and small snap-off blade knife
(and lots of spare blades), a good sized cutting mat, needles. That
should get you started.

What kind of book work have you done already? What is it you would like
to learn how to do?

Peter

At 10:37 PM 5/1/2003 -0400, you wrote:
>Hi my name is David and I'm trying to get some equipment for
>bookbinding for the first time. I am trying to find these items,
>preferrable used:
>
>Board Cutter
>Vertical Plough
>Sewing Frame
>Standing Press
>
>And any other small tools needed for traditional bookbinding. Please
>help a green horn out!
>
>David Farler
>Fairfield, OH

Peter D. Verheyen