Re: [BKARTS] Alcohol-Ethanol

Ed, et. al.,

This is the last posting which I wish to make on this topic, but in
the interest of your continuing education, 'proprietary,' according
to my copy of Webster's New World Dictionary of the American Language,
used as an adjective, means:

"1. belonging to a proprietor.  2. holding property.  3. of property or
proprietorship.  4. held under patent, trade-mark, or copyright by a private
person or company: as a _proprietary_ medicine."

This is not the case with denatured alcohol.  There is nothing private
about the formulations, and the denaturants are all well known and, more
or less, commonly available in commerce.

Ben gave a short list; here is a slightly longer list of denaturants, by
U.S. Government mandated formula:

1:      5 gal. approved wood alcohol (a)
(a) Approved wood alcohol is wood spirit containing ketones, aldehydes,
unsaturated compounds, etc., that render separation very difficult.  In order
to be approved the wood alcohol must pass general tests for impurities and
must be a wood distillation product.  It is for this reason that all uses
of Formula 3A are conditional.

2A:     2 gal. approved wood alcohol (a) and 2 gal benzene.

2B      0.5 gal. benzene (b)
(b) This formula must be used in a closed and continuous process unless it
can be shown that it is not practical to do so.

3A:     5 gal. commercially pure methyl alcohol (a)

3B:     1 gal. pine tar (pix liquida, U.S.P.)

4:      1 gal. of the following solution:
        5 gal. of an aqueous solution containing
        40% nicotine; 3.6 oz. methylene blue; water
        to make 100 gal.

6A:     15 gal. condensed fumes recovered in the
        process of manufacture of fulminate of
        mercury containing not less than 4 grams/100c
        of mixed aldehydes calculated as acetaldehyde.

6B:     0.5 gal. pyridine bases.

12A:    5 gal. benzene.

13A:    10 gal. ethyl ether.

17:     0.05 gal. (6.4 fluid oz.) animal oil (Dippel's oil)

18:     100 gal. vinegar containing not less than 9%
        acetic acid.

19:     100 gal. ethyl ether.

20:     5 gal. crude chloroform.

22:     10 gal. formaldehyde solution containing
        37% formaldehyde.

23A:    10 gal. acetone, U.S.P.

23E:    9 lbs. oil of bitter almonds, U.S.P.
        1 lb. salicylic acid, U.S.P.

And that is only page one, of 5 1/4 pages.

Ed belives that the recipes are proprietary, i.e., secret.  They are
not secret.  Nor are they necessarily simple.  Different industries
and/or processes require one or more varieties of denatured ethyl alcohol.

It is as simple as that.  As bookbinders, our needs are not complicated,
but it would probably not be a good idea to soak an old handmade sheet
of glue-sized paper in, for instance, formula 22, because the formaldehyde
would effectively tan the sizing, hardening the sheet.

On the other hand, there might be situations where that would be a good
idea.

And that is why it is important to know what is contained within any
compound or material which we may use in the pursuit of our craft.

"And that's all I have to say about that."  Forrest Gump

Jack

>Jack,
>
>The proven point was that denatured alcohol from the paint or hardware store
>is in essence a chemical dump and that it often contains a variety of
>proprietary substances.
>
>Ed

Thompson Conservation Lab.
7549 N. Fenwick