[BKARTS] Pre Selling Books?

I have an idea for a rather large, ambitious letterpress book project and am
trying to think of ways of funding it. There are grants, of course, and even
corporate sponsorship to be considered. But I also wondered if anyone out
there has had positive experiences with pre-selling a book to cover the
costs of production. I have read a bit about some of the older fine press
book printers who had subscribers who would pay so much in advance and get a
copy of the book when printed. I don't even know if such practices are legal
these days, but will check with my attorney. Meanwhile, if anyone has had
experience and cares to share it, thank you  (in advance.)

Katie Harper
Ars Brevis Press
Cincinnati, OH
513-233-9588