[BKARTS] Peter Waters

Cynthia Garinther of Montreal sent the email I have copied below about the
serious illness of Peter Waters to the Cyberscribes list today. I asked her
and she agreed that I could forward it to the books arts list because I know
many of you will either know Peter Waters personally, or at least know of him.

For those who might not, Peter was Head of Conservation for the Library
of Congress for many years in addition to being a noted bookbinder. Sheila
Waters, his wife, is one of the leading calligraphers in the world. Julian Waters,
one of their children, is also one a renown calligrapher and typographer,
known, among so many other things, for his work at National Geographic and
on USA postage stamps. FYI, Julian's website:
http://www.waterslettering.com/index.html

I hope they get a deluge of cards. I know it will be appreciated. Thank you.
Phyllis Petersen, Fayetteville NC

CYNTHIA'S EMAIL:
Bonjour,
It is with much sadness that I relay this message about Peter Waters' illness
(husband of Sheila, father of Julian). The diagnosis is a very rare cancer
"Mesothelioma". It is usually associated with exposure to asbestos.
He thinks this must have happened way back in the 1950s when he was
making stamping tools for bookbinding.

They fear it is now too late and too advanced for him to respond to any treatment.
So your encouragement, best wishes and prayers will be appreciated.

It is Peter's birthday (73rd...probably last) next week and I urge all of you that
have known,studied with or just admired Sheila Waters, to send a birthday card
(doesnt have to be calligraphic or handmade) for Peter.

I've been corresponding with Julian, and he tells me that Sheila & Peter would
certainly appreciate and be comforted by all your wishes of good health,courage
and prayers.

Also if any of you have stayed/studied at Sheila's, and you have some video
"moments" that include Peter, please make a copy for Sheila & Peter!
Maybe you'll get them laughing!  So please mail them a deluge of cards!!!!

Sheila & Peter Waters
851 Boyle Road, Fairfield, PA 17320  USA

Emails
Julian Waters   waterslettering@erols.com
Sheila Waters  sheilawaters@adelphia.net