[BKARTS] Question from a new book binder

Hi all,

I just started getting into binding my own books.  I'm interested in
making as much of the items as I can, and I'm working on getting a
press made for me (love handy boyfriends :-)

I have to book Japanese Book-Binding by Kojiro Ikegami and love it!
The instructions for making book cloth are really easy .. but .. my
question.

I can't find japanese papers easily around here (South Florida) but
would like something to practice with.  Could I use rice paper or
regular tissue to make practice cloths with?  Or would I just be
wasting my time?

I'd appreciate any advise. (or if you know a store reletively near West
Palm that would be great :-)

Thanks!
Ariaya