[BKARTS] Los Angeles Book Arts Center

Greetings Book Arts Lovers:

Thanks to everyone who participated in the Los Angeles Book Arts Centers
General Meeting and Pot Luck Picnic in the park.  It turned out to be a
lovely day and it was very nice to get to know our local book enthusiasts a
little better.

For those of you who could not make it here is a short recap.  First we found
some picnic benches in the park with a beautiful view of the Pacific Ocean.
After getting settled in the afternoon was spend discussing and looking at
book art, sharing the trials and tribulations of the field, exchanging
resource information and getting to know one another better.  This was
followed by a wonderful lunch and a discussion of the accomplishments and
future direction of the Los Angeles Book Arts Center.  We plan to have these
meetings periodically to keep us all connected and make sure the channels of
communication remain open.

Everyone had great ideas for helping grow the Center.  The board is currently
hard at work getting organized and determining the best way to proceed.  We
would be interested in the opinions and help of all people dedicated to book
art.  Please let us know how you feel the Los Angeles Book Arts Center could
best serve the needs of the community, what can be done to promote book art
in Los Angeles and around the world, and if you have any connections or ideas
with regard to publicity for book art.

We would also like to enlist the assistance of those interested in helping
move this center forward.  We are still in need of an events coordinator and
a fundraiser and with these positions filled we will have our basic structure
in place.  If you would be interested in volunteering in these areas please
contact me through one of the contact methods listed below.

There are actually many ways to help the center and if you are interesting in
volunteering we could use some assistance in the following areas: membership
and volunteer coordination, mailings, event organization, press kit design,
PR, publicity, education, outreach and book arts exhibitions.  We would like
to establish groups that would work together in these areas.  Any amount of
time that you could give, large or small in any of these areas would make all
the difference with regard to accomplishing our mission. With a member base
of over 150 individuals we feel that each and every member has something
important to contribute to this center. We look forward to working with you.

Thank you for sharing your time and talents with the Los Angeles Book Arts
Center.

Lisa Deutsch
President
Los Angeles Book Arts Center