Re: [BKARTS] publishing cards

Dot

If you want to investigate getting them commercially published, the company that comes to mind is Chronicle Books in San Francisco. They published the Griffin and Sabine books , Aunt Sallie's Lament by Claire Van Vliet, and seem to be open to interesting formats and projects. Their website is http://www.chroniclebooks.com. My experiences in publishing have been a mixed bag but as someone who finds the creative process exciting and production and distribution a bore, I have concluded that working through a publisher makes sense for me, although I am looking into publishing my material on teaching bookmaking as pdfs on the web. My experiences have been in educational publishing so I really can't give any specific advice as to how to research your project. I am taking a class in writing a non-fiction book proposal in June and may be able to offer some more advice then. A book I'd recommend is Nonfiction Book Proposals Anybody Can Write: How to get a contract and an advance before writing your book, Elizabeth Lyon, Hillsboro, Oregon, Blue Heron Publishing, Inc., 1995. Some publishers accept work directly from authors/artists, others only from agents.

I posted a list of websites for writing and publishing info on the list several years ago. I've added some titles since then so I thought I'd post it again. Hope this helps.

in good spirit
susan

Writing/ Publishing Websites
American Booksellers Assn. site
http://www.bookweb.org

Bookwire, inside the book business, partners include Publishers Weekly, Library Journal
http://www.bookwire.com

The Writer’s Resource
http://www.inkspot.com

Para Publishing, website of Dan Poynter, author of The Self-Publishing Manual
www.parapublishing.com

Writing/ Publishing Books
Nonfiction Book Proposals Anybody Can Write: How to get a contract and an advance before writing your book, Elizabeth Lyon, Hillsboro, Oregon, Blue Heron Publishing, Inc., 1995, very thorough plan for writing a proposal

How to Get Happily Published, Judith Appelbaum, NY, Harper & Row, describes what to do to get published and what to do after to be happy about it, not always a given

Thinking Like Your Editor: How to Write Serious Nonfiction--and Get It Published, Susan Rabiner and Alfred Fortunato, New York: W.W. Norton & Company, 2002
Its target audience is academics and people who want to write informed books with a
broader appeal than university presses, but it's well written and has a lot of good insights into the publishing process.

SPAWN, Small Publishers Artists And Writers Network
http://www.spawn.org

Writer’s Toolbox, Internet Resources for Writers
http://www.geocities/Athens/6346/index.html

Books AtoZ, geared toward production as well editorial, has list of publishers
http://www.booksatoz.com

Publisher’s Marketing Assn, association for independent publishers, present and past newsletters which have helpful articles
http://www.pma-online.org

Children’s Book Council, organization of children’s book publishers, list of members available with submission info
www.cbcbooks.org

Purple Crayon, by a children’s book editor with lots of good advice
http:www.users.interport.net/~hdu

SPAN (Small Publishers Association of North America)
http:www.SPANnet.org

Sensible Solutions, site by author of How to get Happily Published, info on getting published, self-publishing option, and selling books
http:www.happilypublished.com

Guide to Literary Agents, Cincinnati, OH, Writer’s Digest, published annually, should be available in reference section of library, costs about $20.00

The Self-Publishing Manual: How to Write, Print and Sell Your Own Book, Dan Poynter, , Santa Barbara, CA, Para Publishing, a detailed and thorough guide to self publishing from beginning to end. Valuable for writers and aspiring publishers

Society of Children’s Book Writers and Illustrators, 8271 Beverly Boulevard, Los Angeles, CA 90048, 23323.782.1010, scbwi@juno.com, www.scbwi.corg
Dues: $50.00 per year plus $10.00 initiation fee, bimonthly newsletter, NE England Chapter has annual conference in May, a must for anyone interested in writing children’s books but also appropriate for writers of educational materials

compiled by Susan Kapuscinski Gaylord, Box 852, Newburyport, MA 01950 skgaylord@makingbooks.com