Re: [BKARTS] looking for advice: finding the right venues

Thanks to all who have responded to my posting both via the list and direct emails,
I will try many of the routes suggested.

Margie, your approach is exactly what I've been doing so far and, for the most part, it works well. I often have 2-3 different books with me - just in case. I left my full time job as an art director in February of 2002 and am still trying to develop a good answer to "so, what are you doing these days?" I've found that it really helps to have a couple examples with me at all times. My work is very tactile, so it makes a big difference for people to hold the books in their hands. It's wonderful to see adults looking as delighted as children when they go through the pages.

Although I have shown my mixed media work in the Boston area since 1997, I've only recently started to put my book art out there and am still developing the way I speak about it. One thing I know about myself is that I need deadlines to reach completion of most projects. So, with my recent donation to the public radio auction, I finally updated things like my Web site and artist statement, which have helped me organize my thoughts about the new work. Like most other artists, I definitely prefer the "making" of the art to the business of it.

Thanks again to all who have shared their advice.

Leah
http://www.iwasonce.com