From: Book_Arts-L [mailto:BOOK_ARTS-L@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU] On Behalf Of
Katie Harper
Sent: Friday, August 01, 2003 7:41 AM
To: BOOK_ARTS-L@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU
Subject: [BKARTS] Starburst Shortcut?

I'm planning a book and am thinking of using what I call the "starburst"
structure, ie, a series of square pcs of paper folded to form a diamond
that opens up, each adhered to the next one, about 12-14 in all in my
book. The pages will be letterpress printed on text weight stock so that
they fold and group without too much bulk (I hope). I like this
structure for the concept of the book, but when I think about putting an
edition of these (ie 30-50) together, it seems like it will be quite an
assembly nightmare.

Has anyone used this structure for an editioned book, and if so, do you
know of any shortcuts to assembly that will make it not quite so labor
intensive? I'm also trying to keep the cost of the book low.

Katie Harper