[BKARTS] corner repair

I have a book with corners that are fraying a little from shelf wear. It is
quarter cloth with paper sides. The cover material is worn off and the board
is visible. I can also see that the plies are beginning to separate.

The following URLs give me some idea of how to deal with the boards, and I
think I can do it.

http://palimpsest.stanford.edu/don/dt/dt2791.html

But those leave me wondering about the covering material. I can certainly
re-cover the corners in paper or cloth, but that could look not very
pleasing while being perfectly functional. I'm also not sure how amenable
the endsheets would be to lifting. Does anyone have a suggestion about the
covering material, and how I should go about applying it?

This book is not valuable in any way, but I like it and anticipate getting
some use out of it in the future.

To pose a more general but related question, does anyone have a
recommendation for a basic repair reference? I am an avid reader and like my
books to be in good shape. While I do get a kick out of rebinding, it's not
necessary for every little problem. Thanks.

Ben