Re: [BKARTS] BOOK_ARTS-L Digest - 15 Aug 2003 to 16 Aug 2003 (#2003-225)

Audry,
I make a lot of paste paper and have a very simple method that I've adapted from one taught by Emily Martin. I use high quality acrilyc paint and add one glop of methyl cellulose(about a tablespoon) to about 1/2 cup paint that's been mixed with water to the consistency of cream. I adjust with a little water or a little methyl cellulose to get the consistency I want. I usually paint on Canson's Mei Tiens (sp?). You can also varnish the dry paper with Liquitex Matte Varnish for extra protection. But frankly, I don't think it makes much difference - and the Liquitex is expensive. These papers work beautifully to cover board for book covers or boxes. Good luck and enjoy! Ellen
-------Original Message-------
From: Audrey Hill <AudHill57@AOL.COM>
Sent: 08/17/03 10:02 PM
To: BOOK_ARTS-L@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU
Subject: Re: BOOK_ARTS-L Digest - 15 Aug 2003 to 16 Aug 2003 (#2003-225)

> Hi List,

I made a lot of paste paper that I tried to use to cover books, but I
found
it did not work well.  I made the paste from wallpaper paste and acrylic
paint.
 I put it on a weighty printmaking paper.  So those might be reasons why
it
cracked on the corners.  Someone told me to put glycerin in the mix and I
have
tried that, but it didn't work very well the one time I did it.  Maybe I
put
in too much or something.  Anyone have any tips on how to do it better
next
time?

Audrey