Re: [BKARTS] WANTED: BOOKBINDER'S TICKETS/LABELS

Dear Doug and Everyone,

     Thank You for getting back to me about my request. I want you All to know that I Agree with you Wholeheartedly, I Firmly Believe that Any Bookseller's or Bookbinder's Tickets that are in a Book Should Remain within the Book if it is in the Intact Original Binding, or if the Original Binding is Restorable. On the other hand, I Do Not Believe that a Bookbinder's Ticket should Remain in a Book that has been Re-Bound, Overly "Restored" or Changed in Any Manner that is Completely Different from the Original Bookbinder's Work, as this would Not be an Example of the Binder's Work, but his Ticket would Infer that it was... I have Unfortunately seen this on several occasions.
     So..., I am Not Advocating the Removal of Any Bookbinder's or Bookseller's Tickets from Any Book that is an Example of a Binding Produced by the Binder who "Signed" it, to me and All other Bibliophiles, this would be a Crime. I also Agree with you that a Record of a Bookbinder's Work: the Tools and Rolls that they used, the Style of the Binding, as well as Any other Notable Techniques that would Help to Identify a Binder, should be Compiled, and is being Compiled by a Gentleman at Princeton University - I Believe that he Intends to put these Records Online at somepoint, and I Hope that he does.
     What I am Requesting; is that Any Bookbinder who is Re-Binding or Custom Binding a Book that has a Bookbinder's Ticket in it, and the Customer or the Binder has No Interest in it and would typically Discard them as Trash, will they Please Save them and Send them to me, or Contact me and I will Purchase the Tickets from them??? I have heard from So Many Bookbinders who have told me that they typically Throw Away whatever Scraps they have left over (Including Bookbinder's Tickets) from the Re-Bindings that they do, not even Thinking about what they are doing. I want them to Think about it, I want All Bookbinders who do Re-Bindings for Universities or Individuals to Save these Tickets instead of Discarding them, it takes No More Time to Set them Aside than it does to Throw them Away, and they may even make a little Money for doing it!!! They will also be Helping me with my Research.
     You are Correct, a Ticket Alone will not Help you in Studying or Understanding the Binding Trade, or the Bookbinder himself. But, a Colour Catalogue Illustrating the Many Variations of Individual Binder's Tickets, Chronologically Ordered, with Annotated Biographical Information, will be of Use to Researchers in several areas: Provenance Research, Bookbinding History, Book Trade History, Trade Advertising, and in a small way the Evolution of Printing in Bookbinding. To give you an Example: I have 12 Very Different Tickets from the Italian Bookbinding Firm, Giovanni Rognoni (Circa 1860's to 1900's) - from Small Decorative Rectangular Tickets, to Relatively Plain Oval Tickets, to Large and Very Unusually Shaped Tickets; this Firm's Tickets Evolved every few years, Changing Colours, Type Fonts, Shapes and Sizes.
I find these Changes Interesting: were they Influenced by Different Bookbinders, by the Social Standing of the Firm, by the Local Economy, by the Change in Fashion, or was it simply to make their Binder's Tickets more Noticable, thus an Evolving Advertising Gimmick??? Word of Mouth was only one way a Bookbinder's Skill was Communicated, a Bookbinder had to be Very Confident in his Abilities to "Sign" his Bindings when others might take Notice...
     Anyway, I just wanted to let you know that I am Not Asking Anyone, Most Especially my Fellow Bookbinders and Bibliophiles, to Damage or Remove Any Bookbinder's Tickets from Any Books, other than the ones that they are Re-Binding, Custom Binding or Discarding. Many of the Tickets that I have are from Bookbinders who do Re-Bindings for Universities. Please do let me know if you Ever come across Any that you might find, as I will Most Certainly be Interested in them. Thank You once again. Please Take Care.

Yours Sincerely,
Jonathan B. Pons