Re: [BKARTS] printing photographs

Dear Audrey,

I have no objection to Epson printers.  The quality is generally high.
However, I do object to their extortionate ink policy.  They sell their ink
in expensive cartridges with chips which allow only one use.  That makes
refilling difficult.  Also, most of their desktop printers are not made to
permit easy replacement of the print heads.  You can replace most heads,
but it is not made easy.  If you can afford their ink, they make good
machines.  Do your own evaluation for your own purposes.  There is no best
machine for all purposes.  I choose other machines because they permit me
to change ink and to recover from head crashes.  I use an HP cp1700 for
double sided printing, and a Canon i850 for printing covers.  I used to use
Epson 750 and 870 printers, and I was very happy with them until I ran into
problems with ink.  I am evaluating the i850 with second source pigment
(archival) ink.  If that goes well, I may switch over to that ink on both
printers, but I don't know the cost yet.

For your information, I print maybe 1000 books a year, about 20,000 sheets
of paper.  That's not enough volume to justify top of the line equipment,
but far more than most consumer machines are designed for.  So I mostly get
high end consumer and low end office machines.

For some time now, printer manufacturers have been taking a page out of the
King Gillette handbook, giving away the razor and selling the blades.  This
makes for very inexpensive printers with amazing capabilities, but if you
do a lot of printing, this is not a good strategy.  My attitude now is to
buy cheap consumer machines to evaluate, and then buy a professional system
meant to last for production.  However, the leap to production quality
machines is quite a gap in price, so I usually have to get by with middle
range equipment.  So far it has worked out well, but I have had to replace
my printers more often than I would prefer.  A plus is that I get to
replace with the state of the art, which is good, as technology is changing
very rapidly.  My next experiment will likely be with dry ink machines in
the mid range, which are just now coming into my price range.  However, so
far, I don't like the look of the ink.  I may stick with pigment based ink
jet for another generation of so.

All the best.  Test, test, test.

Gavin